Subscribe to Blog/Channel

Cats in Hats: A Delightful Knit and Crochet Book for Cat Lovers



Do you ever find yourself reaching for the same kinds of projects over and over again? I know I do. Shawls, socks, hats, and lately... hats for my cat. I mean, honestly, who wouldn't smile at the idea of knitting a tiny hat for their furry friend, especially when it helps use up some of those leftover scraps of yarn?

That's exactly what makes Cats in Hats: 30 Knit and Crochet Patterns for Your Kitty by Sara Thomas so much fun.

I actually preordered this book back in the fall after spotting it on Amazon, so imagine my surprise when Running Press reached out and asked if I would like to review it and be part of the blog tour. I was already excited about the book, so of course I said yes!

Sara Thomas has truly created something special. The book features 30 adorable knit and crochet patterns for cats, all thoughtfully designed and beautifully presented. There are 20 knitting patterns and 10 crochet patterns, with clear instructions throughout. The crochet section even includes charts, which are easy to follow. The projects range from super simple to a little more intermediate, so there really is something for every maker.

It is also one of those books that is just as much fun to flip through as it is to knit from. The projects cover just about every occasion your cat could dream of, including Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays, Valentine's Day, and everyday fun. There are whimsical designs like a top hat, shark hat, cupcake hat, dinosaur hat, bunny ears, and a spring chick hat. Every time you turn the page, another kitty is modeling an adorable little creation.

One of the first things I noticed was the quality of the book itself. The pages are a nice weight, and the paperback cover is much sturdier than most craft books. It feels like a book that will hold up well after being pulled off the shelf year after year.

Pages 6 and 7 include a sweet introduction from Sara, along with a little about her own furry felines. Pages 8 and 9 feature a "Hat Selector," giving you a quick look at every pattern in the book, divided into knit and crochet sections with page numbers. I loved this feature because it makes finding your next project so easy.


The pattern layouts are another favorite of mine. Each one includes a large, clear photograph, the finished size, supplies needed, and well-spaced instructions on a clean white background that really lets the project photos shine. Toward the back of the book, pages 102 through 107 are filled with helpful knitting and crochet techniques used throughout the patterns. Sara even includes tutorials for stuffing pieces, making pom-poms, and joining seams. Page 108 covers abbreviations and chart reading, while page 109 lists every yarn and color used throughout the book.

I especially appreciated that most of the yarns she chose are easy to find at larger craft stores. You can match her samples exactly or simply shop your stash, which makes these little hats perfect for using up leftover yarn.

Pages 110 and 111 include a handy alphabetical index of every pattern, and page 112 lists each kitty model and the page where they appear. I have to admit, they may just be the cutest little furry fashion models ever.

Now, you might be asking yourself, "Why would I knit my cat a hat?"

The real question is... why not?         

These projects are quick, fun, and guaranteed to make you smile. Most of mine worked up lightning fast. I even finished several while sitting in my son's school pickup line. They use such small amounts of yarn that they are perfect stash busters.

They're also wonderful for holiday photos, greeting cards, gift baskets for cat lovers, and even stuffed animals. One of my favorite ideas is making a few for your local animal shelter or rescue. During the holidays, they could use them for adoption photos or special events, and who can resist a kitty wearing a tiny handmade hat? If a little knitting project helps one more cat find a forever home, that sounds like time well spent.

For my review, I ended up making nine hats from the book. I knit the Strawberry, Bunny, Dinosaur, Extraterrestrial, I Heart You, Elf, and three Bobble Hats. There are still several more I'd love to make someday.

Of course, every cat model deserves an introduction.

Meet Dexter.

Dexter is a rescue we adopted from our local animal shelter. He had been found in a dumpster at only five weeks old, weighing less than half a pound. He was tiny, scared, skinny, and hadn't even been weaned.

I happened to stop by the shelter about thirty minutes after he was brought in. I was holding another kitten when Dexter climbed up the side of his cage and let out the tiniest little meow. I hadn't even noticed him until that moment.

When I heard his story, I knew we couldn't leave him behind.

Even though he wasn't quite ready for adoption, my husband and I agreed to foster him. We promised to get him to the veterinarian and teach him how to eat on his own. He came home with us that day, and before long, he had completely stolen our hearts.

Today, he's a spoiled, 15-pound indoor kitty who comes when you call his name, loves chasing his favorite bouncy balls, watches birds through the window, and has become the sweetest little companion. Looking back at these photos still makes me smile because he was such a good sport while modeling all of these tiny hats.

You can still find more of my finished projects on my Ravelry project page, along with Sara Thomas's other wonderful designs.

UPDATE: Although this review was originally written as part of the 2015 Cats in Hats blog tour, I still think this book is every bit as charming today as it was when I first opened it. If you enjoy quick stash-busting projects, love cats, or simply want a craft book that makes you smile every time you flip through it, I think you'll really enjoy this one.

I want to thank Sara Thomas and Running Press for creating such a delightful book that brings together two of my favorite things, yarn and cats.

Happy Yarning!

Kim

My blog isn’t the only stop on this tour, so be sure to check out the other blogs for more giveaways and to see their furry friends modeling these adorable hats. Here’s the Cats in Hats Blog Tour schedule:

AUTHOR KICKOFF: 3/16 Scooter Knits
3/17 Yarning 4 A Smile
3/18 Wendy Knits
3/19 In Stitches
3/20 Polka Dot Cottage
3/21 FaveCrafts
3/22 Recycled Crafts
3/23 Lorelei’s Blog
3/24 CraftSanity
3/25 Lori Greenberg
3/26 Crafting a Green World
3/27 Gaea Handmade
3/28 Pretty Things Blog


 
Happy Yarning ~ Kim

(I am in no way being paid by Sara Thomas or Running Press for this review. I am, however, an Amazon affiliate and will make a very small amount if you purchase the book through the Amazon link provided.)



Comments

  1. OMG, please give Dexter a great big snorgle from me, and let him know how much I admire his savoir fare in all these hats! Our ginger kitty TomTom (I know, such an original name...) is 13 now, still a playful kitty, and he totally rocks a hat. So if I don't win a copy, I may have to buy this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CeltChick :) He is such a good sport. He is the most snuggable Kitty and we actually got him I lost my 9 year old ginger Olie to a mass.. :) He was a total love bug too. Those ginger kitties hold a special place in my heart!

      Delete
  2. my cat is less tolerant of anything on top of him other than his own fur! my dog feels similarly. however, if i had the book, i would certainly see if they wouldnt mind looking as cute as these cats do.

    "=_

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would make my boy cat the dinosaur hat for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The din is cute..esp with the new Jurassic Park movie coming out. Thanks for commiting and good luck.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let's chat about it.

Popular Posts