Tour De Fleece 2013

kitties like the new wheel too!
What is Tour De Fleece you may ask? Well it is the Yarnies version of the Tour de France. You can read about it on Ravelry here : http://www.ravelry.com/groups/tour-de-fleece It is basically when spinners around the world set goals to spin and share their spun yarns while wining prizes from various groups...needless to say it is oh so fun!!!

This was the first year I participated in it. I was a little late getting started but it doesn't matter. This year I not only got a drop spindle but I also got a spinning wheel. The wheel was actually a present from my parents. It is a Schacht Ladybug. She is very cute with her big red wheel and little lady bug. A cool thing about the Ladybugs is that every wheel has a ladybird placed somewhere on it and that they are all in different places so no two wheels are the same. Mine is on the back panel peeking through the red wheel. I used a pink/red Bamboo Merino mix for my first yarn. I am thinking it was not the best choice since it breaks easily and was somewhat slippery. I did manage to finish the 4oz roving braid. I also started on a 4oz roving of 100 wool in a pumpkin colorway. The first picture is the roving. It is just a bunch of hairs going in one direction, the next picture is it becoming yarn. I was halfway through the 4oz during that picture.


My drop spindle is made from rosewood with a blue inlay. It is from GhstWorks Spindlezz on Etsy. It is about 3oz which is good for making thicker yarns and plying (putting multiple strands of yarn together) I had gotten some free 1oz roving of a bamboo blend when I bought my wheel so I started off with that. I think it turned out very pretty. It only gave me 7 yards but that is enough to make a piece of jewelry. I do not have a picture of it but the picture on the left is the yarn I spun on it. I love the fact the drop spindle is a mobile craft.

Tour De Fleece was also the push I needed to get me knitting. I started an actual project. I am knitting the Honey Cowl by Anna Maria. Even though the pattern calls for one color I am using two. I decided to go with Cascade Yarns 220 Heathers in Burnt Pumpkin.(clicking the link will take you to the color on Amazon) I am also using a local spun/dyed yarn from Yarns by HPF. They are so pretty together. I am really enjoying the process learning as I go.


Now i want to know if you did Tour de Fleece? If so I want to see you yarn or knitting... post a link to your blog or pictures... share your yarnieness :)  Happy Yarning!

Comments

Popular Posts