A Review of 365 Trivia Twist Devotions

I had planned for this to go up yesterday but I guess I forgot to hit the submit button. :) 
This review is a little late but you all know how busy life can get. It seems like every day there is a pull to do all the things that add up to what life "requires" opposed to what it needs. As a mom is hard to get all I want to do and what I need to do done daily. I wonder if I am doing enough for my Husband to let him know I appreciate him and love him, am I doing enough for me kids to share them how much they mean to me, am I showing my parents and in laws that we love them and will help them as they journey through the years and most importantly and I doing it all in a way that pleases God and showing his love though my everyday actions? These are things that are running through my mind. I want my kids to see that God should be the center of it all for them and everything else falls in place around him. There are several ways to do this. One of the ways I do it is by having devotion time at dinner. Yes we sat at the table for dinner, we sometimes have one night a week where they can be "free range chickens" and eat in other areas of the house but mostly its at our table. If you have read some of my other post you know we are huge fans of this. We have several kid friendly devotionals that set on the buffet in the kitchen. They are there so the kids can pick one to red from at dinner. We use that time to learn about God, talk as a family and share in each others highs and lows of the day. Is it always pitcher prefect? Why no! Usually there is tea spilled, corn dropped under the table, a unhappy 7 year old about eating a few carrots etc but its still coming together as a family. In our stack of devotionals you will find the 365 Trivia Twist Devotions. This was a book sent to me by B&H Publishing for review and I am so glad they did. The devotional is a paperback book that is a great size. Even though this book is a traditional spine it is easy to lay flat which is so important to me since I like to have it open as we eat so I can read from it and we can discuss it. The font is also a great size that allows me to see it as I am not a spring chicken anymore. Its dated but to be honest we sometimes just open it and see where we land. I love the way the devotional is set up. The book retails for $14.99 and I think for that price you get a lot from it. Anytime you can get your kids talking and learning about God its money well spent. The paper is a nice thickness which leads me to believe this book will handle the messes that await it on the table. As a child from the 80's I feel like when I grew up things were fun. We did things like Mad Libs, Car Tag spotting on trips, Trivia Games and other things that did not always require a battery or electricity. I feel this book brings back some of those nostalgic feelings by the way its set up. The devotions are focused on a fun things that occurs on that day. Which is the average family would enjoy going by the dates on the pages. For instance today is July 30th so the devotion for today starts off with In God We Trust. IT talks about the how the coins in 1864 started carrying the motto "n God We Trust". It uses that to drive the lesson that we should always put God first in all we do. Much like the thing I often wonder am I putting God first in all I do?? There are devotions around movies, fun days like National Ice Cream Day, focuses on modesty, family, friends and pretty much everything. We find it fun and engaging which is what it takes sometimes to get our children redirected away from today's obsessive electronic world. There is also fun tidbits of information like in 1863 Henry Ford the inventor of the Automobile was born and has the versus to drive the focus in Proverbs 3:5. All 4 of us enjoy this devotional . My sons are 7 and 10 and they both choose this one and like I said the hubs and I enjoy the trivia and throwbacks. :) Besides you are looking at less than .04 cents a devotion... who can argue with that! I am wishing you well on this beautiful Tuesday. ~Kim

Comments

Popular Posts