Kicking off 2019 with a BANG!

We are a few days into the new year and already we have had chaos at our house. I have had this cold virus thing since the 28th and it has been one of those wiping you out, walking snot headed, no voice, glass shards in the throat and fever type of colds. It has not been a highlight to the new year that is for sure. However I am on the mend, it ran its course and I had to devour about 8-10 oranges a day and drank ample amounts of hot tea to get me here.

We stayed in doors New Years Eve because we had a lot of rain here in Alabama. The next day we cooked our traditional New Years Day meal which was a Rib-eye Roast, black eyed peas, greens and corn bread. We went with a simple Rosemary Roast this year and used the rosemary that has been growing on my front porch. Its so nice to be able to walk out the front door to fresh herbs. The recipe was a freebie on the Internet and you can find it right here:
https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/recipes/recipedetail.aspx?id=215&fbclid=IwAR25yGLRr_0ciRGPzvZXLaWUbVXjrX4MBn2ioFhMgDyOUZK83ZM3NRGRZBg

So now lets get down to the chaos. This morning I got to clean my fridge and kitchen floor. It was not because I wanted too or because it was dirty because I just had cleaned it when I bought groceries last.  Oh No, today it all got cleaned because as we were getting ready to go out the door to my in laws to clean I told the boys to go make a sandwich to take to Mamaws and Papaws. I am in my room writing some things in my planner and then I hear it. There was screams, glass shattering and things banging. I ran to the kitchen to see my boys standing in front of the fridge with the door open and who knows what on the floor around them. Glass jars were busted and salsa was every where, steak sauce busted, pepper sauce pour on the floor as little peppers lay here and there, blue berries rolling and the Yorkie eating them like a hungry hippo and my two boys standing in the midst of it all. I blinked and took a deep breath. By the grace of God I remained calm.
Its funny really, I really have been focusing on this whole live a simple 2019, to live one with meaning, one with cherished moments and one without regret. I had gotten up that morning and said my prayer to begin my day and knowing it was going to be a harder one because of having to clean the in-laws had asked for patience. God granted me that prayer. It wasn't in the form of a blissful easy going day I was hoping for, it was one in a "you can get through this, just breathe and use this as a teaching moment".

My kids stood there and the wee one spoke first. "I am sorry momma". I looked at the oldest, "Umm what happened?" The oldest was quick to turn on the wee red head. Apparently he was "doing what he was supposed to do" or so he says and the wee one got impatient and decided to SWING and climb on the fridge door while he waited. The red headed one though would not really say what happened. All we could get was "I don't know".

               **** OK lets take a moment to pause right here and sit on this for a moment****
The wee one who will be 8 in February made the choice to grab the fridge door and try to swing on it and climb it. He in that split second thought to himself "hey that seems like a great idea even though I know better and I have never tried something so audacious in my younger years".

So back to the chaos that was unfolding before me:
The red head knew he was in trouble. He finally came clean regarding his actions. The oldest asked to go shower as he was covered in last night dinner and salsa and the red head just stood there like a deer stuck in the headlights of a car. My children are actually pretty good, we have never had anything like this happen before and I knew they knew they made some horrible choices that morning. When he had swung on the door the fridge began to tilt forward or fridge is in a cubby in the wall. I do not think it would have came all the way over. I think it just tipped enough that some things started sliding. I will say they are both lucky they did not get cut with glass from the jars. So for punishment the redhead lost all of his video games for the week. Now being the reasonable parents that we are we did offer another option. He could write 100 times "I will not swing or climb on the fridge". 

Its Friday now and lets just saw he has only written 10 sentences. The amount of times he has asked for his games has been countless. However he has still not gotten back his games. After I got the mess cleaned, the fridge back in order we sat down and looked up a few verses. We talked about how God wants us to obey our parents and why parents must discipline their children. About how God has a plan for us to live the lives he wants us to we have to have self control when it comes to things that can get us in trouble. We finished up with confessing when we do wrong so we can get forgiveness.

I do not see this ever happening again. I am pretty sure the next few days of missed video games is going to be really hard for him as Christmas just brought us a new Pokemon game to play as a family. I hate that the whole thing happened but I am grateful that no one was hurt and that I remained calm and was able to use this as a moment to learn a valuable lesson about why we have rules, why parents have to discipline and what love and forgiveness is.


Bible Verses we covered:
Proverbs 25:28
1 John 1:6 - 1 John 2:8
James 3:2
Ephesians 6:1-4
Nehemiah 9-17

Comments

Popular Posts