How I Organized My Yarn Stash (and My Goals for Knitting It Down)
Originally published in 2015 • Updated 2026
One week into the new year, I was finally able to put my stash organization plan into action. Life had other plans, though! Between doctor's appointments for my youngest son and my mother-in-law, I got a later start than planned. Even so, I made more progress than I expected, and it reminded me that even small steps can make a big difference when organizing a craft space.
Progress This Week
I sorted through my yarn, donated a bag of partial and recycled yarn to our local library, and have another bag ready to go. I also moved school supplies out of my craft room, giving me more space to organize my yarn and crafting tools.
As you'll see in the photos below, I love using inexpensive storage solutions like over-the-door organizers, cookie tins, plastic containers, Dollar Tree trays, and vintage metal baskets. Sometimes the best organization systems are the ones you already have around the house!
Since this is a week late, you should have created your plan of attack for your stash, house, drawer, closet... whatever you want to clean out and get organized. Last week, despite having to take my youngest and mother-in-law to the Doctor for bronchitis, I did manage to get a lot done. I even took a bag of yarn to the library and donated it, and I have another ready to go. (These are partial/recycled yarns, or I would offer them up to you guys) I was able to clean out the "school-related stuff from my room and relocate it to the laundry room and shed, where I can get to it a lot easier. I was able to really go through and touch all my yarns, moving some acrylics and partial skeins to my empty closet. I will add some photos to share my new space and crazy but great storage ideas. The first picture is the closet in my craft room. I now keep all my blocking, scrapbook, "other acrylics," shipping supplies, and office supplies. I love the over-the-door caddy in the pantry, and I use one in my craft room closet for tape, paintbrushes .. pretty much everything. I also reuse cookie tins in drawers, plastic containers that lost their lids, and Dollar Tree plastic trays. The boys' rooms have labels on the drawers. When they were younger, they had pictures of what was in the drawer.1. Knit my 15 oldest skeins in 2015... and here they are.
2. Knit from my acrylic in my closet and put some of them up for destash on Ravelry
3. Start a "cozy memories sock scrap blanket" with 6 grams of balls of sock yarn
4. Continue my "Barn Raising" Square Blanket
5. Knit at least 3 pairs of socks
6. Knit my hubby a hat like this one somehow.
7. Knit from Queue since most of my queued projects have yarn bought
8. Spin at least three braids..
The past two weeks I have finished my Endgame scarf, made a baby hat, finished the donation hat, worked on my sweater and started a #cozymemoriesblanket ... The baby hat was one of the 15 of my oldest skeins. It made a cute baby and hat and I based it on the pattern here.
Oh, and my oldest and I went to the circus with his class. It was a lot of fun, but I wish there were more animal acts. The elephants were amazing, along with the tigers :)
How is your destash progress going. Hopefully, well, I would love to hear about your destash stories... Happy yarning
My Stash Goals
- Knit through my 15 oldest skeins.
- Work through the acrylic yarn in my closet and destash what I no longer need.
- Start a Cozy Memories Sock Scrap Blanket.
- Continue my Barn Raising Square Blanket.
- Knit at least three pairs of socks.
- Knit my husband a new hat.
- Shop my queue before buying more yarn.
- Spin at least three braids.
Recent Progress
Over the past two weeks I finished my Endgame scarf, knit a baby hat, completed a donation hat, worked on my Harvest sweater, and started my Cozy Memories Blanket. Every project finished is another step toward enjoying the yarn already in my stash.
The baby hat was made from one of my oldest skeins using The Lele Baby Hat as inspiration.
A Little Family Fun
My oldest son and I also went to the circus with his class. We had a wonderful time, and the elephants and tigers were definitely the highlights of the day.
How Is Your Stash Coming Along?
I'd love to hear how your stash organization is going! Have you donated yarn, reorganized your craft space, or started knitting from your oldest skeins? Let me know in the comments.
Happy Yarning,
Kim


Comments
Post a Comment
Let's chat about it.